Monday, July 7, 2008

Starbucks and the 21st century

I am turning 30. And I feel like everything is changing around me. I remember my first car (it was a truck). I remember my first kiss. I remember having my first Mocha was in at a Cafe in Grand Rapids Community College (better than the first kiss). But I do not remember walking into my first Starbucks.

That is NOT to say that I do not respect Starbucks as a company. I do. Yes send the hate-mail now. I do like Starbucks because despite what might be said of them they are a creative well designed entity. An entity that has pushed REAL cafés into parts of America that might never know a place where kids can gather with their friends and share quality time together. Yes I said it, I think Starbucks has changed the way America does community. At a coffee shop.

So where is Starbucks now? Closing 600 stores and I hear people cheering. Why?

I think it is the fact there are SO many Starbucks out there, its growth was too aggresive, even for itself. But 600 stores closing?

Some point at the reason being the economy and I would have to half-heartedly agree. Hopefully there is a real authentic self assessment going on internally. A getting back to what is important—making great coffee. At least I hope.

You may wonder how I rate Starbucks. I do believe much of it tastes the same but there are times, yes, there are times when the Barista makes something special. I hope for those times again.

This time I will remember…

No comments: